Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Elevenses - 585 Little Collins St, CBD

After having had a restricted diet for 3 weeks, I’m finally back in the market for good food. Ooh…how I have deprived my taste buds…not my tummy though…there was definitely enough food but when they generally taste similar (cooked with pretty much the same herbs, no/minimal spices, same vegetables, salt…) and you know exactly what you’ll be having for each meal for the next 3 weeks, it gets a bit tiring and uninspiring. But ooh…well, I have discovered that I am not that fussy with food and for a greater cause, I will be willing to go on it again (which I will after a few weeks’ break) but for now, please, allow me to eat, drink and be merry!! :D

So, Elevenses is a café that I’ve been meaning to try but due to my work schedule, have not been able to make it there but Melbourne Cup day is definitely a good day to go as they tweeted that they’ll be open. Parking was easy in Melbourne and it was easy enough to get there. The place was empty apart from the girls and I was actually surprised at how small it was but I guess it is after all, an espresso bar.


Toby’s Estate is a favorite blend and I quickly got my caffeine hit organized. As I still couldn’t have ‘proper’ food, I had to watch and take notes as my friends ordered their meals…the Braised rabbit sandwich and the Roast pork sandwich. Too bad they didn't have the Kangaroo/Rooben sandwich on the day.

They were both interesting items, not commonly seen in small eateries and can easily be done badly. On the other hand, they can be ‘Wow! This is great!!’ The pork was definitely the latter, pulling apart easily whilst still moist and tender. The vegetables(yes, including the gerkhin) made it appear very healthy and gourmet. The rabbit on the other hand was a bit tougher and I was told, takes some getting used to as it’s not a familiar meat to have with a slightly stronger taste compared to chicken.

Ms K had the almond croissant which was a bit too dense, appearing more ‘cakey’ than light and flaky as croissants should be.

Coffees were well made and my strong latte was definitely appreciated. So, Elevenses, a good place for socially, ethically and environmentally responsible coffee, good place for a quick elevenses(aka morning tea/smoko), not so good for a sit down meal or to catchup as space is very limited.







Elevenses Espresso Bar on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful review! Rabbit does have a stronger flavour than chicken, and we have been tweaking the receipe as the weeks roll on. We think we finally have it just right (though I am biased =)....)
    Hope you're finally off your special diet and can once again begin to consume the fabulous food that Melbourne has to offer! We Melbournians are so spoiled with choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shanny...indeed, we are spoilt for choice. Off the study diet now...till the new year anyway, so all geared up and ready for EOY PARTIES!!!

    ReplyDelete